Tuesday, July 6

Pregnancy Questions Answered...

I have had many people asking how I am feeling and how my pregnancy is going. I have avoided answering them, but here it goes:

The beginning of my pregnancy was completely easy, to our surprise. No morning sickness or anything, which was great! Of course, I was extremely tired all of the time and felt like I was a human balloon, just swelling and swelling. I have come to look more pregnant, instead of overly puffy now, which is a good feeling, except when everyone asks when the baby is due and when I tell them "The end of October," they look at me with big eyes. I know what they're thinking. Yes, I look huge. I keep telling myself over and over that it is alright because I am barely 4'11''!

A lot has changed in the past couple of weeks. I am sure this could be TMI (too much information), so if you don't care, you can stop reading this.

After buying a ton of new maternity clothes (thanks, mommy!) I had noticed a swelling happening down there. My first instinct was an allergic reaction to the new shorts that I had been wearing that I had not yet washed. It got worse... and worse. It became bad enough that Mark insisted I call the doctor and let them check me out since I could barely walk. When they were pretty persistent about "fitting me in" that day, I figured I better let them take a look. When I was there, the look on the doctor's face was not a good one. It made me more worried than I really was. She had good news, and bad news. The good news: it was no infection and nothing to worry about going wrong with the baby. The bad news: it will NOT go away, and it will get worse.

Solution: I had to order a v2 support. I have never heard of this, and basically, it is a jock strap for pregnant women. Let the humiliation begin. I have to wear this most uncomfortable support all day, every day, except when I sleep.

I am not allowed to lift anything. I can supposedly go about my normal daily activities as long as I am wearing my support, however, we have noticed that when I have done that, the swelling becomes unbearable and I wind up being in bed all day the following day with an ice pack down there. I know, it's attractive.

There is not a name for this "condition", but maybe there is and I just have not been told it. Basically, I am very small and there is no room for the baby. He is putting a lot of weight on my uterus, which causes all of the swelling and pain. The doctor said she does not want to technically place me on "bed rest" because I am only 6 months pregnant and I need to try and do my best while wearing this support. However, there have been many times when I am going about doing normal things at home, such as cleaning, cooking, etc., and my instinct is telling me I need to be laying in bed. Luckily, I have time to lay around in bed because I have the summer off, but that will soon change as the new school year is quickly approaching, and I am nervous as to how my body is going to handle all of this.

As of right now, if you look at the time I posted this, it has been "normal" that I stay awake very late at night. I am either very uncomfortable and cannot sleep, or just not tired, because I have been laying around the whole day. My typical bedtime has been at about 2:30A.M. and I sleep until about 11:30 or 12, which needs to change!




24 weeks / 4th of July



I am quite nervous about all that has happened to my body in the past couple of weeks and it brings all sorts of worry and questions that bother me. If this is the worst it gets, I suppose I am lucky. Until then, I will continue to try and take it easy as I watch Mark complete his "Honey-Do List" that our doctor made me make for him. He was thrilled. ;)

6 comments:

  1. OOOH! Poor you! If it's any consolation, I think I have developed a "sympathy schedule." I've been staying up waaaay late, and sleeping till it's almost not morning! It'll be like running into a brick wall when I have to normalize my sleeping schedule. But there is no need for a jock strap!

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous07 July, 2010

    Kari,

    I am so excited to find out you are having a baby boy. I can't wait to tell Brittany! I hate that you are having a hard time right now. I will be praying for you and the rest of your pregnancy. Hopefully we'll see at school in a few weeks (if everything goes smoothly for you). I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer. I'm not really looking forward to school starting again since the girls and I have slept in until at least 10:00 every morning, lol.

    Kristi Carson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen Thomas07 July, 2010

    I see absolutely nothing wrong with that sleep schedule! But, I'm sure that will change drastically for me within the next week.

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! Sorry about the swelling. :( Sleep as much as you can. Oh and btw, I had no qualms about rolling around the classroom in my rolly chair to teach and monitor when I was pg. It brought some lolz but it was better than being confined to the bed. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i googled "v2 support." thank you for giving me reason number 972 not to have children.

    p.s. you are a super-cute preg-o. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Kathleen! You will change your mind someday, I'm sure of it!! lol

    ReplyDelete