Friday, September 2

Friday Favorites

Favorite Things to MAKE YOURSELF:  
Homemade Dog Treats, Homemade Laundry Detergent, Homemade Baby Food


Yes, I make ALL of these things. Don't seem so shocked. I have made other things, but these three things to make are my very favorite. Why? The dog treats are great because Hurley (and his other dog friends) love them. Plus, I know exactly what is going in them and they are soo easy to make! The laundry soap sounds like a lot of work, but it wasn't! It saves money, looks way cuter in your laundry room, and smells really good! The baby food, believe it or not, is actually the most difficult to make out of all these things. I know, you think blending food sounds a lot easier, but I think it is more difficult and I don't enjoy it as much because it takes more time and I hate making a mess in the kitchen.


1. Homemade Dog Cookies: 



2. Homemade Laundry Detergent: Yes, it works in High Efficiency Washers and regular washers.

Ingredients:
 - your choice of bars of soap (I got a 10-pack of Ivory)
 - Borax (you can find this on the normal laundry soap isle at your grocery store)
 - Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (it should be next to the Borax on the laundry isle)

That's it! Only 3 things! You need to unwrap the bars of soap and let them sit and dry out a little bit for one day. The next day, use a cheese grater and grate the bars of soap. This sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. It didn't take me long at all, actually. You don't even have to use the teeny tiny side of the grater (because that takes forever). Just grate it with a medium size and once you're done, run your hands through it in a big bowl and it breaks into tiny pieces.

Now, for every cup of grated soap you scoop in, add a cup of Borax, then a cup of Washing Soda. Stir together, then again, another cup of soap, cup of Borax, cup of Washing Soda, stir, and then so on, You do one cup of each thing for every bar of soap you had. So, since I had a 10-pack, I used 10 cups of Borax, 10 cups of Washing soda and all of the grated soap stirred together.

To wash your clothes, just put the soap in where you normally put it and add one scoop for about half a load, and two scoops for a full load.



3. Homemade Baby Food

I actually started this a little late in the game, but I am still happy that I did it. I will definitely purchase a baby food maker to make the process easier for the next one, but for now, I just throw the fruit in a blender on the puree setting with a little water and blend the food up. Then, I pour it in ice trays, freeze them, pop them out the next day, and then put them in a Ziploc bag with the date and contents written on it.

I still have jars of baby food since I started doing this too late, but those are handy when we go somewhere outside of the house and he needs to eat.When it is time to cook the food, I take a couple little cubes of the food and put them in a dish and defrost it in the microwave.

The best part: Dylan loves it!! He loves the homemade fruits a lot more than the jars. It makes me really happy when he just keeps opening his mouth for more, when he doesn't usually do it for the same fruit or veggie in a jar. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment