Thursday, November 10

Photography Class

My birthday gift from Mark (the zoom lens for my camera) came with a free two-day "Basic Photography Class" to attend. It was on Tuesday & Wednesday evening from 7 - 10P.M. which automatically had me panicking just thinking about how long of a time period that is for me to be away from Dylan. To be honest, I really wasn't in panic mode because I wasn't going to be there, but because Mark was going to be with him for that long. Secretly, I was grinning on the inside so that he can get a slight idea of how my days go, but also, I was worried. Mark is not the most patient person. In weird mom mode, I even drew this real quick on the wipe-off board in the kitchen for Mark to refer to:


Do I need to explain it? There are 4 things that I always turn to if Dylan is in one of those crying mood swings. He has those? Uh, yeah. The 'nothing makes him happy mood' sneaks up at least once every couple of days (sometimes more).  These things can also work if he bumps his head (once every hour) and starts crying, too! First, take him to the snowglobes! Still crying? Try taking him outside, maybe for a walk. The weather is bad? Get out the vacuum and start cleaning, seriously, he loves it. Still not working? Put him in the bath tub and let him play. I've never had it where one of these things doesn't work and hope I never experience that. I'm so glad that these things are fairly simple to help calm him.

Well, Mark never had to "calm" him while I was gone. Go figure. He was perfection and just wanted to sit on the floor with his toys and play by himself next to Mark, or watch T.V. Not fair. That never happens with me.

So, the class. I actually had a lot more knowledge that I thought I did (compared to the other students) while in the class. It helps that I use my camera every single day since I have a little  one running around. Since the first day of the class was basically showing us what all of the buttons on the camera mean, I was a bit bored. I already knew all of that. There are certain things that I want to learn:

- how to get great shots of Dylan while he is on the move (which is always),
- how to get great quality pictures to make large prints from, and
- how to get good shots in horrible lighting situations (inside your house at night)

Some of my questions did get answered. I understand photography terms like ISO, shutter speeds, and aperture, but I get all confused when trying to put them together and take time to think about all of it while Dylan is doing the cutest thing ever! I don't have time to sit and think about what settings to use and I don't get two and three chances to get a perfect shot of something happening and that is where I get frustrated. I did discover that some of the settings that my camera was on were completely WRONG. I am willing to bet that a lot of people have the same problem. I found out that if you change the AF mode to AL SERVO (that is for freezing movement)!!!!!! Mine was automatically set at the "ONE SHOT" setting! Go turn your camera on right now and see what yours is set on, I'll betcha it's on the "ONE SHOT" setting. Mine is now always on AL SERVO. Push your AF button to change it.



When I try to upload pictures to get printed large from a photo store online, like a poster print, or even an 8x10 from, let's say, Shutterfly, I get the warning message that my photo has low resolution and may turn out blurry. I feel like such a dummy now that I discovered it was a simple setting on the Menu of my camera. In fact, the very first setting on the camera's Menu. Go to Menu, then Quality, and make sure it is set on the L (the biggest, best quality of pictures) Guess what mine was set on. The S (which stands for SMALL!) I thought the S was a "Standard" setting. Ugh.



I also learned that I need more practice, and want more things. Like, Photoshop. I feel like all photographers keep everything a complete secret and it annoys me. Do they use Photoshop to edit their pictures, or is there a better program? I want to know! If anyone knows more about Photoshop, I would like to hear about it. I have been interested in also learning about graphic design, too. I want to be able to make really great quality invitations, greeting cards Christmas cards, and photos. What programs do graphic designers use to make invitations? Does Photoshop do that? If anyone knows any of these "secrets," please let me know! :)

Now, if I could just learn to write my own prescriptions, just kidding...

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about photographers being all "hush, hush" on their skills/programs/fave settings! I have dabbled a little with photoshop and it is intricate!! And I am glad you shared the al servo tip, never knew what that was for!!

    ReplyDelete