Monday, December 12

Lately...

It feels like I haven't blogged in forever! O.K., I haven't! I guess I haven't had much time with all of the holiday hustle and bustle going on. There really hasn't been much to create a blog post on, either. We've just had lots of little random things going on around here, I guess. Here are some things that we have been up to:
  • Mark got the Christmas lights put up on the house. We are one of two  houses on the entire street that have lights up this year. We have noticed it just gets worse and worse every year with people not decorating the outside of their homes. What's up with that? Laziness? Are traditions not important to people anymore?

  • Sent out Christmas cards and can't believe that we have only received two cards from others. I have noticed the same thing with Christmas cards as the outdoor lights. Why aren't as many people sending them out? I don't understand it. I'm sure people can blame all of it on the economy and things just being too expensive, but I'm just not buying it. I still think it is laziness. There would be no tree, lights, Christmas cards, presents, etc. around here if I didn't insist on it. No matter how much of an inconvenience it is, I still make Mark put lights on the house and I still buy presents, wrap them all pretty, bake goodies, decorate the house, and more, because I made the decision that I will force myself to do all of those things to make it special for my children (just Dylan right now). If we don't start the tradition of things now, then we will never do it. I do not want him being lazy and thinking that it isn't important.

  • Speaking of tradition, I hope that we didn't start a new one. Dylan has been sleeping in our bed with us for a couple of weeks now. We try to go in when he cries and rock him and put him back in his bed, but 10 minutes later, he starts crying again. If we put him in our bed, he stops, and goes to sleep. It is us being selfish, really, and wanting our own sleep. Mark wants to try the letting him "cry-it-out" but I can't do it. I can't just lay there with him crying. I'd rather go in his room, hold him, and rock him all night to sleep and then complain that I am really tired the next day, rather than letting him cry for us all night. Ugh.

  • I still have Dylan on half soy milk/half formula in his bottles. He still gets very runny diapers when he eats anything with milk in it and I am thinking he could be lactose intolerant. I am just trying to watch it closely. He loves his bottle so much, I am having a hard time not letting him have one. They calm him and put him to sleep, too. I don't want to eventually have a 3 year-old walking around with his bottle. I know, he is only 14-months now, but still. He did go yesterday with only one bottle as soon as he woke up and one bottle before bed because we were so busy running errands and being away from the house.

  • I know this might sound crazy to some people, but I think we will start potty training soon. Is that possible? Dylan understands when he is going no.2 and runs to a corner and squats down to go. I will ask him if he is going potty and he says, "ess." He understands that he is going potty, so I am trying to make an effort to talk about it with him right now to get him ready. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself, but who cares.

  • I spent two long days and nights working on a photo book of Dylan's first year about a week ago. I went ahead and forced myself to complete it because I was sent a coupon for 50% off by a certain date. I needed that 50% off! lol Anyway, the book came in the mail today and it is GREAT! I love it and could not be happier with it!



    Two days after I submitted the book to get printed, I receieved a letter from the company editior asking for permission to use my book design on their website, photos, etc.:

    "Dear Kari,

    Congratulations!  Your recent creation and photos have been selected by MyPublisher's distinguished photo editor, Karen Mullarkey, for potential publication on our website.  Because Karen feels your design and your photos are such beautiful examples of customer-created memories, we hope to feature them on our website to help inspire other customers as they create their own projects.

    Karen is one of the world's leading photo editors.  She has had a long and illustrious career as an award-winning photo editor of such major magazines as Rolling Stone, Newsweek, Look and Sports Illustrated.  She also has been photo editor for more than 70 internationally recognized books."


    I was proud of myself. I wonder if they just send that email to everyone, of if my book really was that great. You can view the book online by clicking here.

4 comments:

  1. Kari I love your book! You are so creative. Where do you get all of his little onezies from? The ones that say how many months he is. I know they have several on Etsy but I didn't know if there was someone in particular you used. And don't tell me you make those! I wouldn't be surprised if you did, you are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks Megan! I didn't make them, but once I found some sticker paper that you just send through your printer, I'm sure it'd be easy! I got them from Sticky Bellies and when I first found them they were the only ones they had. Now, they have other designs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kari, I love this idea!! Your book was really great! I am currently working on my son's first year book too.
    I wanted to ask you, what was the font that you used for the title on the front cover "dylan's first year"? I think its really cool.
    Thanks for this great idea!
    - lina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so awesome! Have you kept up with making new photo books every year? If not, you should check out Chatbooks. They’re a photo book app for iPhone or Android (finally something for us android users!) that can pull pictures from your Instagram, Facebook, or camera roll. It’s only $8 a book and they give away your first book free. Also, they’re running a promo that if you refer 5 people, you’ll get 5 YEARS worth of books for free!

    If you’re interested, please use my referral link: http://invite.chatbooks.com/eloquencena8sn

    ReplyDelete