Wednesday, November 14

Dylan's Christmas Advent Calendar

Terrible blogger. I can't say it enough. I haven't even blogged about Dylan's birthday party! Life has just been a little hectic lately since Mark is busy stripping cotton. That's when it becomes just me & Dylan all day, every day. He keeps me busy. I made myself hurry and try to get his Christmas advent calendar made yesterday. I looked at the real calendar and realized that we might be so busy during Thanksgiving, I might not get another chance to get it made by December 1st.

I have searched and searched for cute advent calendars and loved the idea of the drawstring bags as soon as I saw those. I ordered some canvas bags from Paper Mart. Of course, they come in a pack of 24, so I ended up ordering two packs! Not like that is a bad thing because I am sure I will find other uses for the little bags! The calendar bags really turned out cute and I can't wait to fill them and see how much he loves it. It was really easy to make, too. I'm going to tell you how I did it, in case you're interested. I have seen people actually sew the numbers on the bags, but that would take forever and be a pain, so I opted for freezer paper and fabric paint, which was a good call! Here is what you need:
1. freezer paper
2. canvas bags (your choice - here is where I got mine)
3. fabric paint
4. sponge brush for painting
5. razor blade to cut numbers and help peel freezer paper off after painted
6. small piece of cardboard to put inside to help the paint not bleed
7. bowl for paint
8. iron & ironing board

First, you cut out your numbers. If you have a cutting machine like the Silhouette or Cricut, that's extra easy, but if you don't, you can still do it! You will just need to print the numbers off on paper, trace them to freezer paper, and cut them out with a razor blade. I suggest finding someone that has a cutting machine, or hey, here is another reason (like you need one) to go buy one of these machines for yourself! ;) I have the Silhouette Cameo, so this part was easy!

Then, I set all of the numbers out. After you have all of your numbers cut out, take a canvas bag, put the piece of cardboard inside of it, and iron a number stencil on.

After you iron the number on the bag, you'll go ahead and paint it. After you have painted the number, slip the piece of cardboard out and set the bag to the side to dry. I know it is tempting, but let it dry for a while before you pull the freezer paper off (the best part!) and go ahead and go on to the next bag and repeat the process (25 times!) Once the paint is dry, you can pull the freezer paper off and throw it away and you will see your super cute design!

That's it! I am not sure where I am going to hang them yet. I am looking for some red gingham ribbon to hang them with, and haven't found any yet. I have also been slowly collecting little things to put inside of them. He isn't really into candy, except lollipops, and I would prefer them to not be filled all with candy, either. I have liked the idea of little coupon inside some of them that have a Christmas activity to do for that day. I might do that next year. I don't think he will understand a piece of paper saying something to do this year. I have been gathering items from the dollar bins at Target, like little books, colors, cars, animal crackers, snacks, toothbrushes, etc. that will go inside of them this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment